Assalamu Alykom dear parents,
We had a wonderful week alhamdulillah,
We are still reading biographies from our Nelson Literacy books.
Students are also doing an amazing job on storybird, I have been reading the stories they wrote and I am really proud of having some very good writers masha’Allah. Please give the chance to your kids to go on storybird and to write their stories by themselves. They can also enjoy reading stories on the same site.
In reading comprehension I introduced making inferences. Students know now that they have to read using their detective skills to understand.
Making inferences is basically using information that we already know as well as clues in the text to help us understand.
Please do not forget to do the second assignment on storybird: Tell about a time when you went grocery shopping with your mom or dad.
This week we have been working on Linear Measurement, Area and Perimeter.
· Students worked on finding the perimeter of several large figures on the classroom floor.
- They have measured distances around pictures
- They have selected a non-standard unit to tile a rectangular area.
- They used materials to measure the area of surfaces in the classroom.
- Using 5 snap-cubes, students and their math buddies made different arrangements and recorded them on grid papers.
- Using 5 Pattern Block triangles, they made different arrangements and recorded them on grid papers.
The spelling words for this week are contraction words: you’ll they’re it’s we’ve isn’t let’s aren’t I’m can’t we’re.
I have finished conferencing all the student. Masha’Allah, they are very knowledgeable. Most of them did very well!
Students wrote floor maps for their rooms and their kitchens. They have also made legends for these rooms.
We have talked about the importance of remembering Allah and calling upon Him before doing anything. We read the story of prophet Younes alayhi Assalaam.Students recognize the lesson that Allah taught to prophet Younes and the importance of turning back to Allah after making a mistake.
Jazakom Allah khairan and have a peaceful and restful long weekend!