Assalamu Alaykom dear parents,
We have started a new language unit: Biographies.
In this unit, students read a variety of recounts in the form of biographies. They read about several famous Canadians, including a gold medalist at the Paralympic Games, a children’s author, an astronaut, and a hockey player. As students read the recounts (biographies), graphic text, DVD covers, cartoon, and interview, they develop
• an understanding of recount text form;
• an understanding of how the conventions of DVD covers convey meaning;
• the reading strategy of making inferences;
• the listening strategy of making inferences;
• the writing strategy of putting things in order;
• word work, word study, and vocabulary skills.